Monday, July 27, 2015

Project 2 Outline

For this blog post I will plan out my project 2 rhetorical analysis.  I will include information on my introduction, body, and conclusion paragraphs.  In the introduction paragraph I will have my thesis statement to help set up my argument for the entire paper.  For each body paragraphs I will have my analytical claims as well as support for each of them.

Xhienne. "A SWOT analysis, with its four elements in a 2x2 matrix". 30 September 2007 via Wikipedia CC BY-SA 2.5


Introduction:
I will start out with a sentence or two providing basic information about the topic in my analysis.  I will mention the author along with the audience prior to issuing my thesis statement.  The thesis statement I have chosen is: Cohen informs readers about the ethics of de-extinction by appealing to the values and beliefs shared by the audience.  Along with setting a tone and providing clear transitions between sets of texts, Cohen then analyzes the different effects that de-extinction would have on this world to give readers the ability to decide whether or not this process is ethical.

Body Paragraph 1:
I will begin with a topic sentence to describe one cultural value and ideology that is embedded in the text, the possibility of de-extinction helping to promote ecological values.  I will use brief quotations from the section of the text that talks ecological axiology.  While including the rhetorical strategies of how Cohen uses tone and the appeal to the values shared by the audience, I will have quotes that include the benefits that de-extinction will bring from the ecological standpoint and how ethics is involved.  I will try to incorporate the PIE method, providing the point of my paragraph, then illustrating it by using a quote from the text, and finally explaining the connection between the point and the illustration.

Body Paragraph 2:  
Just like the rest of my body paragraphs I will start with a topic sentence and describe another cultural value and ideology that is embedded in the text.  For this paragraph, I will talk about the deontological argument that people owe to de-extinction to species and how we should view species' rights.  I will analyze and paraphrase the information the author provides in this section of his text.  I will end the paragraph by relating back to the topic sentence.

Body Paragraph 3:
I will start with a topic sentence and describe another cultural value in the text.  This one will describe the factors associated with positive utility (referring to utilitarian aspects).  I will analyze and paraphrase the positive factors that the author describes in this section of his text.  To conclude the paragraph, I will use the information from the entire paragraph to relate it back to the topic sentence.

Body Paragraph 4:
I will start with a topic sentence and add onto the factors associated with utility.  This time, I will describe the factors associated with negative utility.  I will analyze and paraphrase the factors that the author describes in this section of his text.  To end the paragraph, I will use that information to relate back to the topic sentence.

Conclusion:
I will briefly restate the thesis in a different way while still mentioning how Cohen used rhetorical strategies to talk about the cultural values in his text.  I will also summarize the main points that I made in analysis.  To finish the essay I will leave readers with the option to view my analysis along with the actual text and give them the opportunity to decide whether or not they think the process of de-extinction is ethical.

No comments:

Post a Comment