Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Reflection on Open Letter Draft

For this blog post I will on my peers' feedback on my open letter draft.  I will hyperlink the two drafts I read from my peers. For the remainder of my blog post I will answer six questions from the Student's Guide on page 69.  This will help tell me what I will revise in my open letter draft.

File:Reflecting pool.jpg
Dtcdthingy~commonswiki. "Reflecting pool". 4 April 2005 via Wikimedia Commons Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported  

The letters I have reviewed from my peers were from Jason Wittler and Mark Mellott.

Who specifically, is going to be reading this essay?  Or who am I trying to reach with my argument?  (My instructor, my classmates, members of my academic community, members of the local community, etc.)
The readers of my letter is my instructor and my peers.  They are the individuals that have stuck throughout the entirety of this course.  We all worked hard through the good times and difficult times.

What biases might my readers have?  Am I respecting their opinions while also achieving my own purpose?
The only bias which I believe my peers and I share is that we all worked hard throughout this course and we will all have specific opinions on this thought when we read the letters of our peers.  My purpose was to show I have improved as a reader and writer and how I have gained invaluable knowledge.  The good part of what I wrote in my letter is that I respect the ideas of my peers and as a result I will not need revise what I wrote.

What are their values and expectations?  Am I adequately meeting those expectations?
The readers of my letter expect to read about specific information in which we have improved as students.  I can't speak about what other students wrote in their letters but I can say that mine includes my own work to show how I became a better student.  We all have different examples that we use in our letters, but we share a similarity of including our own personal examples of the ways we evolved as readers and writers.  My letter meets the exceptions of these individuals by showing how we all collectively had to work on the same projects.

How much information do I need to give my audiences?  How much background information or context should I provide for them without insulting their expertise?
In my first draft of my letter I included a brief amount of information of how I connected my personal information with the content of work in this course.  I plan on providing more information while at the same time not stating background information that insults the expertise these individuals with the topic of English.

What kind of language is suitable for this audience?
I will use language that is relevant to this specific course and the work involved with it.  The audience already knows what kind of work has been completed, so I need to refrain from using information that is not relevant to this course.

What tone should I use with my audience?  Do I use this tone consistently throughout my draft?
My tone should be one which is happy and cheerful, while at the same time being reflective of the work that was put into this course.  I should also keep my background information relative to the content of my letter.  In my first draft, I believe that I did a good job of using a tone that satisfies all of the conditions just mentioned.

Overall, I just want to revise the way I structure my sections and have them relate to the main idea stated in my introduction paragraph.

No comments:

Post a Comment