Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Considering Types

For this blog post I will explain the different types of argument from the reading on page 414 in Writing Public Lives.  I will view the different types, which include Position, Casual, Evaluative, Proposal, and Refutation.  I will see which types are the best fits for my project, along with seeing which ones would not work.

File:Screw types.jpg
Rocket000. "Screw types". 23 June 2008 via Wikimedia Commons Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported 


Out of all of the types arguments from the list on page 414, I believe that the two that I will consider using the casual argument type.  To start off I feel that a casual argument will fit the style of my project because I would "argue for one cause or one set of causes for a particular problem" (414).  By pointing out the cause to the audience, this could help them understand some solutions to controversy.  I would point out the positive aspects of the controversy I have chosen to write about.  The position argument type would not be a great fit in my project, but would be better than the remaining types.  The position argument would only be beneficial for me because I would be able to point out the pro/con argument.  I would not defend a specific idea or policy, but I would point out the benefits of one side overall.  The evaluative argument would be the last remaining argument that I think that could potentially be a slight fit into the style of my project.  I could include analysis that "will often evaluate specific public policies and proposed solutions that have been developed or are being proposed" (414).  The remaining argument types do not fit the style of my project because I will not "map out the solutions step-by-step for their readers, introducing them to the proposal, explaining the logic of the proposal, discussing the steps for implementing the proposal, and pointing to the benefits of following the proposal" (414).  Rather than making a proposal, I will just present data to show the sides of the controversy.  A refutation argument will not fit the style of my project because I will not refute my argument and not "point to the possible harmful public effects of the argument..." (414) Along with that point, my project will not give readers a reason to not follow the argument.  Overall, I feel that incorporating at least one type and elaborating on its use, I can still provide an informative project.

No comments:

Post a Comment