Saturday, August 1, 2015

Extended Annotated Bibliography

For this blog post I will find 4 to 6 new sources that provide answers to the two focused questions that I have chosen for my third project.  I will add annotated entries to each of the sources that I will use.  I will explain in how annotations how these sources will help answer my focused questions.

File:"Citation needed".jpg
futureatlas.com. "'Citation needed'". 2 November 2010 via Wikimedia Commons Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic 

Source 1:
The states with the best - and worst vaccine coverage [Internet]. The Advisory Board Company;               [updated 2013 August 08; cited 2015 August 01]. Available from:                                                         https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2013/08/08/the-states-with-the-best-and-worst-vaccine-       coverage

This source helps provide me with data that can help answer my question regarding which states have the highest vaccination rates.  The source also includes data for the states that had the lowest vaccination rates.  By reviewing the information from this source, I can research why states that have either the highest or lowest rates have the rates that they do.  Perhaps they have different laws requiring more people to be vaccinated?  The report also provided data in which included the total percentages of kindergartners in all 50 states that received vaccinations for specific diseases.  Some of these diseases are measles, DTaP, and chicken pox.

Source 2:
Levs, Josh. The unvaccinated by the numbers [Internet]. CNN; [updated 2015 February 04; cited               2015 August 01]. Available from: http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/03/health/the-unvaccinated/

This source gave me important statistics regarding the number of unvaccinated children in the U.S. (while also reporting about individual states).  It provided data on kindergartner exemption rates in the 2013-14 school year and school immunization exemptions in 2015.  It also gave important information on the types of families that delay and refuse vaccinations.  Overall, the data and insight from this source will provide me with good data that I can use in my public argument paper.

Source 3:
Mullin, Juliette. The states with most (and least) strict vaccine policies [Internet]. The Advisory                 Board Company; [updated 2015 February 5; cited 2015 August 01]. Available                                       from: https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/blog/2015/02/a-look-at-state-vaccine-policies

This source helped provide me with information on the types of policies the different states have when it comes to having children being vaccinated.  It included a map, which I find helpful, that shows which states allow certain types of exemptions from having children being vaccinated.  It also included a discussion from the author at the very end talking about whether or not states will tighten their enforcement in the future with regard to enforcing vaccination requirements.

Source 4:
Blinder, Alan. Mississippi, a vaccination leader, stands by its strict rules [Internet]. The New York           Times; [updated 2015 February 04; cited 2015 August 01].  Available from:                                         http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/05/us/mississippi-a-leader-on-vaccination-rates-stands-by-               strict-rules.html?_r=0

This source provides analysis on a specific state that enforces strict vaccination requirements and benefits from the fact that it does so.  It provides analysis from different sources, some of which are doctors or members of medical facilities.  Being able to analyze a specific state may help me write my public argument paper and state information in which I use one state as a specific example for many parts of it.  Mississippi will be the "example state" in my article, where I could refer back to and make claims about the which states enforce strict vaccination requirements.  

No comments:

Post a Comment